Thursday, January 9, 2014

Recipe Corner: Staci's Taco Salad

My taco salad usually gets lot of attention, I've had several private messages and a few comments on it so I figured I'd write it all out for you guys! This is one of my favorite things to make so much that I don't really make regular tacos anymore.  Honestly it's just something I threw together one day and I've been in love with it ever sense.

Staci's Taco Salad
Serves 6

1lb of meat ( I usually use Chicken or Ground Turkey)
Taco Seasoning
1 can pinto beans or black beans (I use pinto)
1 bag of Spanish rice ( I use Knorr)
garlic, minced 
1 onion, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
1/2lb mushrooms, sliced
Lettuce (shredded)
Tomato (diced)
Avocado (diced)
Corn Tortillas (I use Mission thinly sliced, you get 3 per serving!!)
2% mexi blend shred cheese (optional for garnish)  
Salsa (optional for garnish)
Sour Cream (optional for garnish, I use light) 

 I'm going to give you the directions on how I make my personal taco salad. You can play around with the ingredients to you're liking....just remember the points value is based off the below information and it will change based on how you prepare yours.

TORTILLAS/MEATS/RICE/BEANS:
Preheat the Oven to 365. Spray a cookie sheet with non stick spray, place tortillas on pan, spray them with cooking spray and sprinkle salt on them. Before oven is fully preheated place them in the oven and cook for about 10 minutes or until desired crispiness is achieved.

Heat the beans and cook the rice according to packaging.
 
 When using chicken(3oz = 3pts) I sprinkle the it with about 2 tablespoons of taco seasoning, grill it on the George Foreman, once it's cooled some to where I can touch it I rip it to sherds and usually give myself 3oz. If using ground turkey(4oz = 4pts) I brown it and then add 1/4 cup of taco seasoning and 3/4 cup of water and cook until thickened)

VEGGIES:
Spray a skillet with non stick spray add desired amount of garlic and sauteed whatever veggies you'd like until tender over medium heat. To keep the veggies free of points I only add water as needed to keep them from burning.

MAKE YOUR SALAD:
When making the salads, I layer desired amount of lettuce, 1/2 cup of rice, 1/4 cup beans, desired amount of veggies, meat, tomatoes, 1 oz avocado, 1 tablespoon salsa, and 2 tablespoons light sour cream. I stick 3 cooked tortillas on the side. This salad with 3oz of meat of choice is 9 classic WW pts.

Just remember you can change you points based off of how much of each item you use, so just use your calculator to figure out the points.  I'm always available if you have any questions! Enjoy!!!
Staci's Taco Salad




Facebook.com/irunbecauseiliketoeat

No comments:

Post a Comment