Monday, December 9, 2013

Recipe Corner: Staci's Haystack Dinner

My cousin sent me this yummy recipe and I played around with it to help make it WW friendly. It was really yummy and everyone loved it, including my 2 year old!!!! 
 
Staci's Haystack Dinner
 
Ingredients-
4 cups instant White Rice
1 lbs. ground turkey or beef
1 - 10.5 oz. can cream of mushroom soup - I used mushroom with roasted garlic soup
1 - 10.5 oz. can cream of celery soup
2 cups (16 oz) cooked peas (I used frozen and cooked according to package)
Shredded cheese for topping (To save on points I used a little bit of reduced fat Parmesan cheese on mine)
Salt (to taste)
Pepper (to taste)
Tony Chachere (to taste....my hubby is from New Orleans so we like spicy in our house...this seasoning is not needed unless you want it)
Directions-
Cook Rice according to package....I used instant because it's easy but you can use any style of rice you'd prefer just note it will change my points value on it.
 
Meanwhile, cook turkey in a large saucepan until thoroughly browned. Add both cans of soup and seasonings; stir until well combined and creamy. Cook until warm.
 
To serve Haystacks put some rice on a serving dish, top with meat mixture, then top with peas and finally top with shredded cheese. If your peas are warmed the cheese should melt over them, if not you can stick the plate in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
 *** This made 4 servings for us. Each serving was 8 classic WW points (10 points plus). I divided the meat mixture into 4, used 1 cup of rice, 2/3 cup of peas and Parmesan cheese. You can adjust these items to your liking and recalculate points.

 
Staci's Haystack Dinner 

No comments:

Post a Comment