Monday, December 9, 2013

Super Star of the Week: Alicia Kloster



Meet Alicia a 28 year old mother of two from the Midwest! Her weight issues started in college and in 2007 she hated the negativity of her life due to her weight, so she decided to lose weight and feel better about herself. Check out her story below!


When did you start your journey?
I started my weight loss journey in May 2007.  I had just graduated college and had put
Alicia (before)
on the freshman 15, and by that, I mean 30 lbs.  Looking in the mirror one day was a big


reality check.  Whoa.  I’m overweight, not happy, and most certainly not healthy.  Time for a change.

What is your favorite exercise routine?
Honestly, this kind of changes with time.  I very much enjoy running during the nice
Alicia (Before)
weather months.  My family and I like to run outside and enjoy the scenery.  I never ever thought I could be a runner, and never ever have been until this past April.  Now that the weather has become very cold, I can honestly say I miss it.  Running is not only physically good for you, but it’s so good mentally for you too.  I have never come back from a run in a bad mood.  It’s very uplifting.

What’s on your playlist that gets you pumped?
Heart of a Champion by Nelly & Written in the Stars.  Those are two of my most favorite songs on my playlist.  I love when they come on towards the end of my workout when I need a boost to not quit.

How much weight have you lost total?
I started my weight loss journey at 180 lbs back in May 2007.  From that point, until right now as I stand, my weight loss is 26.4 lbs.  It has fluctuated throughout my journey as I have had two babies in there.  Although I technically officially started my journey
Alicia (before)
in May 2007, I have “re-started” my journey a total of three other times, with my most recent restart April 25, 2013.  Since April 2013, I’ve lost a total of 19.8.

What tips do you have for someone still working towards their goal?
NEVER EVER quit.  Every single time I stopped counting points and slacked off working out, the pounds slowly crept back.  Never ever give up.  If you fall off track, start back immediately.  It’s never too late to make good decisions.  And when you do fall off track(it happens to everyone; we are human), don’t call yourself a failure and punish yourself.  Brush off your shoulders, and take back control.  Most of all, believe in yourself.  You CAN do this.

How did you lose the weight/what plan did you follow?
I follow Weight Watchers

What’s your favorite “cheat” meal?
Definitely pizza.

What is your favorite snack?
Alicia (After)

I really like Fiber One brownies.  They are two points a piece.

What’s your favorite motivational quote or saying?
“You are lapping everyone on the couch.”  One of my biggest goals was to run a 5K.  I achieved that goal this summer, with my first 5K being in June 2013.  However, at first, I tended to get a little discouraged watching people pass me and get incredibly better times than I did.  Although my times did get better throughout the summer, I realized that I will never be the fastest runner, and that’s ok.  I’m proud of me, proud of how far I’ve come, and proud to call myself a runner. So the other 5k’s I did, I would repeat that quote in my head while I ran, and would smile.

Who is your biggest inspiration?
I would have to say Staci Chambers, the starter of this site.   Each post that she puts on the site is very motivating.  And it’s crazy, but the timing of posts almost always correlates to how I’m feeling that day.  Staci has been on this journey for quite a while now, and has never given up.  She’s a wonderful wife and mother, and still finds time to be healthy.  Thank you Staci for never giving up, helping motivate me as well as so many others, and teaching me that it’s ok to be human.  Most of all, thanks for being you!

How much more weight do you want to lose?
Alicia (after)

Ideally, 10 lbs.

Have you always had a weight issue?
Not so much.  I was never a skinny girl by any means, but played sports in high school so that helped keep my weight in check.  My weight issue started in college.

What made you decide to start losing weight?
When I was overweight, I didn’t feel healthy and most certainly not happy.  I didn’t like how my clothes fit, and hated trying anything on.  Overall, everything in my life felt negative.  Looking in the mirror that day in 2007, I knew I was ready to change, but also felt scared.  Would I be successful? Would I stick with it?  How long will it take to lose the weight?  I took it day by day, and eventually things fell into place.  Some days are easier than others, and some days my attitude just plain sucks.  But I will NOT go back to the old me.  I care about ME, I care about being healthy for my KIDS, and I’m proud of who I have become.


Alicia after a mud run 5k!



Congrats on all your success Alicia! You will reach your goal, I will be there every step of the way, and when we screw up we will lift each other back up! We got this! My biggest reason for doing a super star of the week is to remind and encourage everyone that we are all human, we make mistakes by how we deal with them shows that we are truly superstars. Send me your story and you never know who you might inspire to not quit! 

Facebook.com/irunbecauseiliketoeat

No comments:

Post a Comment