Monday, November 25, 2013

Super Star of the Week: Tommy Gumbs

Meet Tommy, a 33 from California who didn't like the way he felt about himself. So he made the decision to change his life from overweight, unhappy and unhealthy to a lean toned racing bicyclist! Check out his awesome story below!

When did you start your journey? 
I started my journey in 2011.
At that time I was 285 lbs. I was very unhealthy and just plain miserable. I knew something had to be done,
but I just didn’t know how to do it.
What I learned was everyone has an answer. And the answers you get will always be different. But I kept my eye on the goal, which was to feel good about myself again. 

                                                                   What is your favorite exercise routine?
Cycling and running.  Its actually hard to say. Coming from a time in my life where I was physically impaired, I tend to love anything that makes me feel alive. But, if I had to choose, it would be cycling.

What's on your playlist that gets you pumped?
After a couple years of making playlist, I now prefer to listen to Podcasts. Specifically Podcasts from "Above and Beyond.” I love just hitting play and letting the blood get to pumping. Plus, podcasts are free :)

How much weight have you lost total?
I have lost about a 100lbs. My waist at the beginning of my journey was a 42. I now wear
a 30. The actual amount of weight changes as when I am in race season, I tend to lean out. The lighter the better.  

What tips do you have for someone still working towards their goal?
Never give up. Life is race. How you want to finish this lovely race is up to you. 
As for eating, or drinking, I tell people that you need to learn your body and what works. Everyone is different. You only fail when you stop searching for what actually works for you. 

How did you lose the weight/ what plan did you follow?
I lost the weight by eliminating Soda first. Lost 15lbs the first month. Then I eliminated fast food. Lost 15 lbs the second month. The third month I started portion control and running/elliptical. By the fourth month I started incorporating a lot of protein, and
started cycling. From there on it was amazing watching my body change. I wish I had entered a contest or something.I never followed a plan. I just did what felt right. The key to my success is I never stopped. I never backed down. I aspired and dreamed of more. The faster my runs got, the longer my rides went, the more I pushed myself, the more I realized that I could do this. I could accomplish what I started, and go beyond that. I realized that my potential was infinite and I was the true master of my destiny. 

What's your favorite "cheat" meal?
I don’t have a favorite cheat meal. I am so active now that I constantly eat. Between racing and training, I need to consume a lot of calories and protein. I don’t eat like people think I do at all. I try to intake at least 3k a day. 

What is your favorite snacks?
I love peanut butter. I eat a large jar of Peanut Butter, and a large jar of Honey a week. I have 2 to 3 Peanut Butter smoothies a day. :)  

What's your favorite motivational quote or saying?
You can do it…from one of those Adam Sandler Movies. 

Who is your biggest inspiration?
 I don’t have one person that inspires me. I have hundreds. From the strangers that I see out on the road riding and running. To the people I see in the gym. I am inspired by those that are willing to change their life, or those that have done it. Like you Staci! Those are the people that inspire me because if they can do, so can I!  And, if I can do it, so can they. 

How much more weight do you want to lose?
Because I am on the other end of the spectrum, my weight depends on what I am doing. I stay around 175, but If I am not racing, I will beef myself up to 185, then drop it off for when I do race. 


Have you always had a weight issue?
I was always a larger guy. I was never happy with my body. I was always above 220 though. 

What made you decide to start losing weight?
I had a Kidney stone and I never wanted to go through that pain again. Hence, I cut out Soda, then fast food, etc. In the end I guess my pain from a kidney stone lead me to my greatest pleasure…..enjoying life and pushing my body as far as I can.  I have never had another Kidney stone BTW.

A huge congrats on your success Tommy! To see how happy and active you are is an inspiration in itself! You truly are an inspiration, keep on shining! You rock!!!

 Facebook.com/irunbecauseiliketoeat

No comments:

Post a Comment